Monday, July 14, 2008

Another Before and After

I am determined to make my way through my closet and change or refashion most of the ankle-length skirts that I made about 5 years ago. They are obviously dated and won't be worn at this length but the fabric is still in good enough condition...

So here's the next candidate to go through the shears...in it's before state:



The fabric was bought during the same trip to JoMars as the last refashioned skirt was. It is a cotton pique, too. I bought six pieces of those piques and I'm surprised I stopped there because there was this huge table piled high with them. Three were quickly made up into skirts, one was made into a dress, and two are still visiting with their friends in my fabric closet.

And this is what the skirt looks like now...


I added a white 4" bias binding to the bottom of the skirt. Now this bias binding is part of a box of bias bindings that I bought from Fabric Mart almost seven years ago. (Does anyone else remember the white sheets that came with the sample swatches that had the really great deals on them? The box of bias bindings was on that sheet!)

I keep looking for opportunities to use up this stash and this was a perfect opportunity. The refashioning took about a half hour. The newly refashioned skirt was perfect to wear to work today with a white tank top and sweater...because its one of those days when most of the staff is out of the office, there are no meetings scheduled and I don't have to look ultra-professional!

Two down and about six more to go! Now to come up with a different idea for remaking them...*smile*

18 comments:

  1. I hear you on the ankle-length skirts, Carolyn. I used to love the longer length, but now, not so much. They just don't look right anymore. I'm wearing just above the knee, at the knee, and upper calf. No longer.

    How about putting a band higher up on the skirt, then another band of the print below? Or 2 bands, alternated with the print? I'm sure you'll come up with some wonderful styles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way you are refashioning your clothes, Caroline! I love the band. A little Oscar de la Renta, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything that you sew looks fantastic Carolyn, and these skirt refashions are really inspiring. Time to look at my wardrobe with a fresh eye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the refashioning, Carolyn. It looks like a new garment and one you will enjoy again. Can't wait to see the next refashioned garment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your skirt looks gorgeous - I think adding a white band gives it a very fresh spring look. What are you doing with the fabric you cut off though - you're not keeping it in a scraps bag and adding to your fabric stash are you?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! I threw out my longer skirts a while ago. They really do look dated. But what great makeovers you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fabric is awesome and the band gives the skirt a more contemporary look! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent! The skirt looks very contemporary now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow the band really changes the look of the skirt,i love it.You are a creature after my own heart!I hate getting rid of things if i can help it.I do donate to the local charity store as a last resort:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simple touch made it a whole new (updated) look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you seen what Ralph Rucci is doing with hems? I'll bet you could do a take-off on his treatment: below the body of the skirt, a band of sheer (or semi-sheer) fabric, then a continuation with a final band of the skirt fabric. I love what you are doing so far though. Good for you for being "green".

    ReplyDelete
  12. That band totally changes the tenor of the skirt - fresh and new and pretty.
    Reminds me too to finish the skirt that I cut off (one of those with the pointy handkerchief hems) earlier this summer, planning on putting a band on the bottom, but I never cut the band.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The contrast really changes the look of the skirt. I am losing the long skirts too, somehow they don't look right to me now. I am always interested in how something that looks so right at one time looks so out of place at another time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A half hour and a new refashioned skirt. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Looks fabulous. I love the idea of adding a band of sheer between the skirt and another band of the fashion fabric.

    I was looking at a pattern (say it isn't so!) the other day, where the skirt had 3 rows of piping at the bottom of the skirt. The first one was 5" up from them hem, then up another 3", the final row of piping was 2" up. It was all the same fashion fabric between the piping. I'll dig up a photo. g

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the skirt - that is so cute! You have another "new" outfit in no time at all. How do you do it? I love your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That band really takes it from casual to chic. I think I might steal the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love what you did with your skirt and the band. Great!

    I tried to find a post about the New Look skirt you did. New Look 6463. I admired Robin's and she said you discussed changes you made to it. Could you send me to the appropriate place, please.

    I always enjoy your garments. TIA, Sally

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails