Sometimes though I wonder if you read these ramblings and think I'm whining during the creation process. It sure seems that way to me when I read an older post, but I truly use my blog as a diary and as such some times I vent here...dream and plot here...and pat myself on the back here. I just allow you to read over my shoulder! *LOL*
You want some stats right:
Burda WOF (that's what it was called then!) 09-2005-115
1.5 yards of off white doubleknit from Fabric.com
1.5 yards of black doubleknit from Metro Textiles
1 ~ 18" white zipper
scraps of black/white printed doubleknit from Fabric Mart
3 yards black rayon seam tape
1 hook & eye
There are several differences between this dress and the original version ~ longer sleeves, no lining and I colorblocked this one in the front and the back. The original version only has the seamed detailing in the front...this one has a curved seam in the back also.
The other difference was that for the first dress I had already worked out the construction process in my head way before I traced the pattern or before I cut the fabric. Since I got the idea Thanksgiving Day to make this version, all of the process had to be worked out as I went along.
This led to much waffling and indecision ~ to topstitch or not ~ where to add the printed doubleknit to the dress ~ whether to have an all black back or a black & white back. This caused ALOT of frustration during the construction process. I am so use to having the roadmap that I've already worked out in my head to follow while I'm sewing...that making the decisions step by step almost wore me out!
However, as you see, I went with the white top & the black skirt. Making sure to curve the back seam so it duplicated what was happening in the front:
I also decided to discreetly add the black/white trim. My original plan was to have it at the waistline (sort of belt like), at the sleeve hem and at the neckline. I settled for at the neckline and the sleeveline:
This conveys the look I was aiming for better than some of my original thoughts. Finally one last look ~ wearing it with the black doubleknit cardigan that I made about 4 years ago:
More photos of the dress can be seen in my flickr album, Burda Style Projects.
Of course, the thing that everyone has really been waiting for...the winner of the two pieces of fabric from Fabric Mart...and they are:
2.5 yards of Gray/Cranberry Stripe Wool Double Knit:
Zusana from Bratislava, Slovak Republic
1.5 yards of Chocolate Brown Bamboo Knit:
Jodie from Alberta Canada
Congratulations to you ladies!!! I will send these pieces out via the postal service this week. Please let me know your mailing address by dropping me a line at my email address found in my profile. Thanks and congrats again!
Lastly, I've started working on another dress. It's one of the pieces from The Pinstripe Follies collection. Something that I have a construction plan already worked out for using my TNT dress pattern plus the details from a vintage '60s pattern.