Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Even I can do better...

Okay so I got my butt in gear and finished off the Vogue 1250 dress.  However, that doesn't mean that I finished the Butterick 5147.  But I did get started on sewing the piping down and inserting the lining...as pictured here:


So can I talk to you a little about making this dress...well I'm gonna anyway. I made a typical sewist mistake,  I didn't stabilize the neckline so of course it stretched out of shape...this folks is where experience comes in.  Having been in this situation before, I knew a few tricks to "Make It Work."  

  • First I opened the side seams and stitched them with the smallest seam allowance.  
  • Then I stitched them again to reinforce them.  
  • Pressing them open and flat gave me some more space.  

Next it was a matter of carefully matching the shorter lining to the stretched out neckline.  Some steam, a few carefully placed puckers and the lining and fashion fabric worked with each other...but I really should have double checked that neckline before I added the piping to it.  

Finally, I also should have added some ltwt. fusible interfacing to the neckline to hold the shape of the original neckline.  Next time I will double check this so that I don't make that mistake again!


Now I just have to tackle the armholes which are experiencing the same challenge. I'm only working four days this week, so hopefully the extra time will allow me to not only finish this dress but to also work on my Mood garment for this month...which I guarantee you won't be as involved as my Lace Challenge Dress!

Here's a sneak peek of the fabric I'm using for the Mood project...


Things are settling down at work and I'm spending some quality time in my sewing cave which always makes things right in my world...

...as always more later!



6 comments:

  1. I'm glad (and proud) you could make it work! Hope you're not like me, having to re-learn over and over...ahhhh :) ~Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great tip in there. I stabilize the shoulders but not the neck or armholes. I will be doing so in future. Thanks.

    The dress is looking lovely. Can't wait to see it all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never stabilised a neckline? Could you possibly explain what you mean for this sewing numpty please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this info as I need to check for this when lining dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you saved the dress from losing it's shape. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip about using interfacing around the neckline-- I can think of a few things I've made that could've really used that. I always learn something new from your posts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails