As I stated a few posts back, the last couple of winters have been mild. I've made do with my pants wardrobe which was at an all time high four years ago due to the wickedly cold weather we had that winter...okay actually two bad winters back to back with snows of two feet plus several times. As each pair of pants bit the dust, I didn't replace them...so now I'm under the gun...cause it's soooooo cold outside!
I bought this fabric from Fabric Mart last month and was a little disappointed when it arrived.
I thought the plaid would be bolder than it was. After thinking about it for a minute I realized that the really faint plaid would work well for a pair of pants. So pants for sure because I don't want to freeze to death waiting for the bus in the morning.
This is what came out of my sewing room this weekend.
2.5 yards of plaid wool blend pictured above
A heavy satin lining purchased from JoMars during my trip with Shams, Peggy and Noile in April 2011.
1.5" wide Soft & Easy stretch elastic
Olive rayon seam binding
These pants are made from my TNT pattern so there are no new construction tips. However, there were some fabric choices made that affect the pants. The lining I used is a heavier satin lining, used deliberately to add weight and warmth to the pants. I can admit that I was a little warm in these during the taking of pictures but they will be perfect for commuting and work on a Monday when the office is a tad cooler.
Also these pants are underlined. After trying out a few lining techniques, I've found that I like wearing the underlined pants best. So that's how I'm sewing them going forward.
A few construction photos ~
I always use two red pins to mark the back
of the pants during construction
Full length shot of the pants on the hanger
Inside out - lining, elastic, rayon bow to
designate the back of the pants
Making pants is an automatic thing for me. My pattern works so I just put it down on the fabric, cut them out and sew them up.
So a few more photos of me...
A little background on the pictures ~
Here is the really important thing, the pictures of me in this post were taken by me using my new Canon! Can you believe it?! First can I just say thank you to Marce one more time for her help...I couldn't have done it without her. I also need to thank Shams for her assistance with telling me what to purchase.
- I used my tripod to take them but not the remote.
- I still can't seem to make the remote work with the camera. I'm sure it's me and will look for a YouTube video for assistance.
- Marce told me that she doesn't use a remote that she uses her timer.
- So I tried that and it worked. These are taking with a ten second timer and a consecutive shot of two.
Of course, these pictures are cropped and the exposures changed to get the best possible picture but they are taken by me on the new Canon. I'm proud...seriously proud that I could get some workable pictures out of that camera. There is hope for this relationship yet! *LOL*
What's Next ~
A pair of navy wool crepe ones also made from my TNT pants pattern, a 4 gore lined flared skirt and a sheath dress both from the navy wool crepe. The pants and the skirt are finished and will be posted soon.
Once I've finished these, I will head back to Crazy 8 Land. As a reminder, I have four pieces left to sew to finish it off and I want to work on the Vogue 8944 dress next.
Finally my pattern alterations post for the Simplicity 3833 sew-along will appear on the Rosie Wednesday blog on Tuesday, so look for it there. My version of the dress will be made after I finish the Crazy 8 pieces. Seems like a lot of sewing but next weekend is a three day holiday here in the US and I hope to have an even more successful sewing weekend! Here's hoping the mojo holds!!!
...as always more later!