Monday, March 20, 2017

Simplicity 8094 - 4x


I'm on a top sewing binge. It's been tops, tops, tops for the last month. I see inspiration everywhere. A top I saw on QVC a couple of months ago inspired this one.
Joan Rivers Top from QVC


This top reminded me of my versions of Simplicity 8094 and I've wanted another one in a black ponte. The inspirational garment moved this version to the top of the queue. The ponte and the pleather are both from the collection. I used the pleather in this garment in 2013 and the ponte is from my last purchase from Metro Textiles.

Since I used the godet in the last two versions there wasn't any change made to it. Though, instead of inserting it from the hipline down, I put it in the entire side seam. That made it a really interesting feature of the new top. It also means that the top will have to be washed on delicate and hung to dry because the pleather can't go in the dryer.


I did make a change to the original sleeve to insert the pleather to mimic the inspiration top. It was simple. I just cut the sleeve and inserted the pleather on either side. 

Since I was sewing over a "holey" piece of pleather, I added a 5/8" strip of black silk organza over the pleather piece. Then I stitched through the piece when stitching the sleeve's side seam. This insured that the pleather piece was stabilized and gave the stitches a solid piece to hold on to.



So a few pictures of this one in action ~

I'm wearing RTW ponte jean leggings and a tank top with this top




Conclusion ~
I've loved wearing my other versions of this top and I'm sure I will love wearing this one too. It works so well over my leggings, skinny jeans and regular jeans. It just works. So I will probably make more in the future. Don't know when but fall will come again so I will use the pattern then ~ that's a lot of "I wills" LOL!

There is another top on the cutting table ~ it will be up soon.

...as always more later!



29 comments:

  1. Gorgeous top and love your adjustments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything about this is perfect and oh-so-very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this is very Chico Chic! Love the pleather inserts. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I love your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh huh! That's right! You go cuz your top is EPIC! I like, the lace inset in the inspiration photo but it does NOT compare with yours! Pleather cutout fabric was a great design choice. I LOVE this top, well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally chic. An awesome elevation of a basic top to fashion forward design. Ace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been on a top sewing kick lately too...mine have been shirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bdejong - I've made a few shirts also but they have a lot of steps. Every now and again you just need a quick knit top!

      Delete
  8. Love the top and love how creative you are. Inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great interpretation of that RTW top. really nice and you are on a roll with tops!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the look, love the attitude, and love that it is both very NYC practical and chic. I also love that the photos show you looking confident, happy and wonderfully/beautifully "real", which is harder to find in the blogosphere these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi - that's cause I'm not a model. I just play one in front of my fireplace! *LOL* Though my daughter who reps models/DJs & makeup artists is constantly critiquing my photos!

      Delete
  11. This is so cool! I want one just like it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Boom! You've hit that one straight out of the park for a six!

    ReplyDelete
  13. bea-u-ti-ful!! very nice! I am in the middle of a nightgown binge. #7 in the works. Is it the weather?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the black on black design choice. Tres chic! And absolutely loving your action shots. Make the top look even cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks really great, I love the pleather details. It's great that you actually do something with your inspiration pictures, I just stick mine on pinterest and then forget about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loads of pictures too! *sigh* And I pin everything with the intention of trying to sew it or reproduce some detail. As you can see I make 4-5 things a year. I don't think that's a great batting average! *LOL* Thanks for the liking the top!

      Delete
  16. You look like a million bucks, and its obvious you FEEL good wearing your new top - congratulations on a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you thank you thank you for making and posting about this top! I have a length of light-weight merino and a few scraps of a perfectly coordinated checked cotton that I want to incorporate, and this design is perfect. I can only hope my top will look as polished as yours does :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this top! It's feminine, but also has a little edge to it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know I can't resist faux leather! This is awesome and the kind of thing I would wear every chance I got until my sisters did an intervention. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a nice top! Makes for a very sophisticated outfit. Your design inspiration for the pleather was brilliant! You look great and having fun with the photo shoot. BTW, I really like your hairdo with bangs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cool top Carolyn. I love all the design details and the black on black.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Chic and elegant - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Apparently I need to read your posts a bit more carefully! How did I miss the side godets? That fabulous! Thank you for continuing to use RTW to inspire turning your TNT patterns into something fabulous for your Chicos Chic lifestyle. I love all of it and want to incorporate many, many of your garments into my closet.

    g

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails