Monday, April 10, 2017

McCalls 7481 and some Dashiki Fabric

It's getting warmer and to celebrate that fact, I'm starting to sew spring. Since I bought this fabric to #CarriageCornerSewCamp and didn't get to work on it, I decided it should be the next thing up in my sewing queue.  So in that spirit, I started a topper to be worn with jeans and a tee or a tank top!


My Inspiration ~



I follow the singer Monica Brown on Instagram and loved this topper on her and thought it would be cool to add one to my wardrobe. Monica's dashiki jacket is made by DashikiPride.  

After looking at their pieces, I knew I could make my own. So I convinced Marcy to meet me at AKN Fabrics on Broadway to shop for some African Fabrics and bought this one home with me.


The pattern ~

I chose McCalls 7481 as my starting point and I made a couple of alterations to the pattern.

1. I added 5" of length to the front and back pieces. 2" at the lengthen/shorten line and 3" at the hemline.


2. To the front and back pieces I added an inch at the sides - grading down from a 1/4" to a full 1" at the hips.

3. 5/8" seam allowance was added to the back to make use of the print.


4. I also made facings since the pattern calls for the jacket to be lined and I wasn't lining this lightweight cotton jacket.

5. The pockets were omitted. I never put my hands in my pockets in a jacket like this so I left them off.

Honestly it doesn't close over my body in the hip area but since it's not made to close, that's fine for this time. If I want to use the pattern in the future, I'm going to need to add some more space so that it closes around my body.

A few pictures of the jacket ~





...and one more cause let's "Fight the Power!"


Conclusion ~
It's something new and part of my "I can wear anything I like" wardrobe. I love the dashiki print and may buy some more in the future since the African Fabric Store is only a couple of blocks from me. For now it's one of the first pieces of my spring/summer wardrobe and so I'm happy to be sewing for spring!

...as always more later!




45 comments:

  1. Love this. I enjoy your work with prints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how this turned out! It's really fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool Carolyn. I can see you wearing this with lots of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I love the print placement. I think the coloured sleeves add something to the original look too. It's very architectural but fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine - I had such a focus on the "typical" dashiki portions of the print that I neglected some of the other pieces of the design. If I bought another piece, I would use it differently and probably neglect the known dashiki pieces and concentrate on some of the other parts of the print.

      Delete
  5. OMG, stunning and fierce. I will be visiting AKN fabrics sooooooon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! But be careful cause it's tight in there!

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, this is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very stylish indeed! You are so fearless. I look at prints like this and my brain freezes over, Lol. Looks great n you .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning piece! Love how you've styled it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You nailed this look, Carolyn! I have to explore that store....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter - it would be interesting to see what you chose to work with cause there is soooooooo much there!

      Delete
  10. Awesome! Great colours in that print too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am amazed that you looked at that pattern and saw this. Ha! Ha! I looked at that pattern and said "Who will ever wear this?" and moved on (because all I saw was the fluffy stuff on the bottom). I love your fabric and the way you used it to copy your inspiration piece. This looks like something you will really enjoy wearing a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia - always look at the drawings because if you just go by the fashion photos and you're not a fashion girl, the pattern will disappoint you. I was looking for a coat with a hood and a collar and some pocket options. This pattern has great bones!

      Delete
  12. So pretty Carolyn! I love your use of the print! I love when I see Dashiki prints used creatively is something other than a big ol' maxi skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica - you are toooo funny! Yeah there are a lot of those out there but that would be too much skirt to move around in my daily life.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful-that color combination is just beautiful-again another inspirational post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It turned out so fantastic! I love that you ended up putting that motif in the front. Love. Love. love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keisha - I was always going to put that motif in the front but originally I was going to put it in the front and the back. So glad that I changed it up. I think not only does it look better but the sleeves tie in more effectively.

      Delete
  15. Getting that print placement just right is important--and you nailed it Carolyn! I see lots of wear opportunities--jeans, leggings, dressy pants, skirt set or with a LBD.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You used that print to its fullest impact. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's truly gorgeous on you. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just wonderful, with perfect pattern placement. I especially love the green and purple next to each other. They make the print pop. You have also shown me my perfect coat pattern - collar or hood, plus hidden placket. I have added it to my wish list. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want that fabric! Both, the browns and golds and your teals and blues. I have really enjoyed the light jackets that you have been making and this one tops them all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's fabulous! It's the perfect statement piece. You've certainly figured out your post corporate wardrobe. It works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy - You're right I have figured out who I am now. If I sew half of what I have in my mind, I'm going to be so much more colorful and printed than I use to be!

      Delete
  21. Wow! You have such a great eye to see the fabric for what it could become - an amazing, amazing jacket!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Carolyn, this is really lovely! You are always an inspiration. Enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You nailed your inspiration piece. It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shenetha - though I can't believe that I carried it to Sew Camp and brought it home to sew!

      Delete
  24. You are going to get a lot of wear out of this, it is so versatile, I love the colors amazing job. I would love to make this as well, but I would need to locate the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So fun! I've noticed dashikis everywhere this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love, love, love it! You know it'll take zero convincing to accompany you there again, right? Aaaaaand.... my early birthday present is just waiting for me to finish it....

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look absolutely wonderful in this three-piece ensemble; the coat is beautiful and a real statement piece! I think you used the print to maximum advantage!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm seeing a lot of these fabrics around (on the internet at least), they are stunning and I love how you've used it here.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You Rock!!! Love it. Going to see if I can get to NYC via Megabus sometime this year. Have to check out AKN's fabric. You always look fabulous! Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG! I am not sure how I missed this post but glad I was reading your current one. I clicked on the link for the jacket and saw your drop dead gorgeous jacket/topper. Love, love this on you and truly love this fabric! (Gushing)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love it...

    I bought it for the Maxi vest with the fur at the bottom we'll see what happens

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails